Saturday, April 29, 2017

Dark Creatures of Ink and Paper - The Art of Justell Vonk

Hard to describe with worlds what it feels like to look at the chilling drawings of Justell Vonk, 30 years old Russian artist living in Moscow currently. Her drawings could easily fit into Grimm's fairy tales, however, he uses her dreams and her expressions as inspiration.



Old Playmate by Justell Vonk

It’s always such a pleasure to have a conversation with someone this talented! I'm still wondering how artists can use colors to express themselves but working without colors can be just as exciting and Justell Vonk is the best example to demonstrate it.


- Justell Vonk is my artistic name. Currently I reside in Moscow, Russia but moving soon to Europe, closer to Baltic Sea. I'm Russian by original and I realized that making people to try to pronounce my real name is too cruel. My major inspirations are my dreams. And my dreams in their turn are heavily influenced by conversations I have with people, books I read and movies I watch. 
 I saw the major outlines of the drawings being already half asleep or sometimes half awake. I usually also have a title of a work popping up in my mind along with those outlines. When I begin putting first lines on paper the paper shows me the rest of the drawing and all the details that I need to add.

- Have you got a favourite artist?


- I can't name a favourite artist as there are lots of influences on my art that came from movies, fine arts, music. There would be a way too long list. Among my long term inspirations are Gustave Dore, Salvador Dali, David Cronenberg, HR Giger, HP Lovecraft.


- Currently I'm working with black ink in paper only but recently I also began to learn
"Futur" by Justell Vonk
tattooing. And I've got to draw or to paint something on metal surface for one of the upcoming shows, so probably I'll begin to paint again.

- Have you ever made an exhibition of your works?


- I have never had a personal show yet but I exhibited my works several times already. Early June my works will be on show during Wave-Gotik-Treffen in Leipzig and then I've got couple more shows planned this year, in the USA and Germany.

- I also sell my artworks, both originals and art prints. They are available through my Etsy store and I'm open for commissions as well!



If you are intereseted in her works, don't forget to check Instagram gallery, too, where you can find more of her artworks.




Now let's take a closer look at the amazing drawings of Justell Vonk:






No comments:

Post a Comment