Sunday, April 23, 2017

Childhood Dreams Turned into Pantings - Maria Neri

Last time we've talked about nightmares and the opportunities of using them correctly in art. Now we have to show you the opposite way, when dreams are fitting into children's storybooks.


Reconstruction by Maria Neri - This girl slowly rebuilds herself from her pieces.

Maria Neri lives in Guadalajara - largest city of the Mexican state of Jalisco - works as a freelancer illustrator. Her works are actually inspired by children's books but mixing the elements of pop culture with surrealism. These paintings are calming and expressive at the same time telling a whole story on a single canvas.


- I mostly work with aquarell, gouache and acril. I had some exhibitions at the local art gallery. I've painted for many years but only the last 6 years professionally. 
- My goal is to vivify my characters, show their story, their feelings, expressions and build a whole universe around them. Every painting comes to life in its own reality. They're like the dreams we've had in our childhood.I want them to look like they're coming from fairy tales.


La Creacion - Maria Neri

La Creation - This character is just staring at you. Staring at you with her own message in her eyes - that creating comes from your heart. 



- I can say I have some favourite artists, like Shaun Tan and Jimmy Liao. I find Rebecca Dautremmer very inspiring as well.

Maria Neri's art is more than just some girls looking through us. They are looking into us, into our soul and into our everyday lives. They're telling us to stop for a moment and recognize those small things we all knew as a child. Those small things that can make a change in our personality, even in our lives. We have to take a deep breath and find our pieces; then patch together ourselves while noticing the beauty of existing. 


- I have a blog where I share my works, - better to say my painted stories - but people can also find me on Instagram as @maria_neri76. They can direct message me there if they are interested in my works.

Conspiracy by Maria Neri - Little creatures are collaborating to help us while we are dreaming.





No comments:

Post a Comment